Department of Physics and Engineering
FSU Renewable Energy Center
Oguz A. Soysal
Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering
101 Braddock Rd
119 Compton Science Center
Frostburg, MD 21532-1099
- Previous Affiliations
- Professional Associations
- Teaching Interests and courses
- Research Interests
Ph. D. : 1985, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey M.Sc. : 1978, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey B.Sc. : 1975, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
(In chronologic order)
- Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
- ABB/ESAS Inc. Transformer Factory, Istanbul, Turkey
- Black-Sea Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
- Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA, USA
- IEEE Power Engineering Society (Senior Member)
- ASEE American Society for Engineering Education)
- AAPT American Association of Physics Teachers
- MD-DC-VA Solar Energy Industries Association, “Solar Champion Award” for establishing the Wind and Solar Energy Demonstration System (WISE) and creating the first in-state online and hands-on solar electrical training program, Annapolis, December 5, 20082008
- Frostburg State University “Faculty Achievement Award in University and Community Service”, Frostburg, May 2008
- Barbara A. Mikulski, US Senator, Certificate of Recognition for organizing the Renewable Energy Symposium and Expo at FSU, September 14, 2007
- The Senate of Maryland Official Citation for offering the Center for Future Engineers: Robot Design, January 24, 2006
- The Senate of Maryland Official Citation for directing the Center for Future Engineers: Robot Design, February 13, 2005
- IEEE Power Engineering Society Chapter in Turkey, “Engineer of the Year Award”, Istanbul, Turkey, 1997
- EMP Protected Microgrids Using Renewable Energy, $165,000, MTECH – Maryland Industry Partnership (MIPS)
- Sustainable Energy Research Facility Construction, $738,000, US Department of Energy, September 1, 2008 – August 31, 2010
- FSU Wind-Solar Energy “WISE” Certified Education Program, Appalachian Regional Commission, $68,813 (including student tuition), October 1, 2007 – September 30, 2008
- Construction of a Solar-Wind Powered Hybrid Generation System, $53,813,Maryland Energy Administration, November 15, 2006 – April 30, 2008
- Summer Center For Future Engineers: Robot Design, (MSDE) Offered five times between through continuation grants, Total $297,580 (including student tuition), 2004-2008
- FSU Robotics Laboratory, Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC): $89,910; FSU matching: $91,375. Total $181,285 , 2003Engineering Design Summer Workshop for High School Students, Regional Educational Services Agency (RESA), $3,700
- Physics and Engineering Outreach Program for High School and Community College Teachers, $6,500, University System of Maryland, K-16 Partnership Program, 2001
- Web Based Distance Learning Lab Facility for Collaborative Engineering Education, University System of Maryland, 1999 Faculty Development Fund - $2,330 • Computer Based Experimentation Set for Engineering Courses, $2,250 FSU Grant Proposal Incentive Fund, 1998
Renewable Energy Power systems/Energy Conversion Power Electronics Engineering Design Electronics and Instrumentation Circuits and Systems Control and Syetem Theory Robotics
- Wind and solar energy
- Power quality
- Study of electromagnetic transients in transmission and distribution networks
N. Serifoglu and O. Soysal, “Fault Conditions of Electric Energy Systems – Volume 2 (Turkish), Papatya Publishing, Istanbul, Turkey, 215 pages, ISBN: 9756797711, 2006
Refereed Journal Papers
Soysal, O. A., Semlyen, A. “Reduced Order Transmission Line Modeling for Improved Efficiency in the Calculation of Electromagnetic Transients,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 1494-1498, August 1994.
Soysal, O. A., Semlyen, A. “State Equation Approximation of Transfer Matrices and Its Application to the Phase Domain Calculation of Electromagnetic Transients,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 420-428, February 1994. 4. Soysal, O. A. “A Method for Wide Frequency Range Modeling of Power Transformers and Rotating Machines,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 1802-1810, October 1993.
Soysal, O. A., Semlyen, A. “Practical Transfer Function Estimation and Its Application to Wide Frequency Range Modeling of Transformers,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 1627-1637, July 1993.
Discussions in Refereed Journals
Discussion of paper "Overvoltages Due to Switching Off an Unloaded Transformer With a Vacuum Circuit Breaker," by M. Popov and E. A. Acha, IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1317- 1326, Oct. 1999.
Discussion of paper "Monitoring of Power Transformers Using the Transfer Function Method," by T. Leibfried and K. Feser, IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1333 - 1341, Oct. 1999.
Conference Papers and Presentations
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “From Wind-Solar Energy Demonstration System (WISE) to Sustainable Energy Research Facility (SERF),” Accepted for presentation at IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES) General Meeting to be held in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in July 2009 and publication in the conference proceedings
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “A Residential Example of Hybrid Wind-Solar Energy System: WISE,” Proceedings of IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES) General Meeting Pittsburgh, PA, 2008
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H., S., et al.., “University-State Partnership to Promote Residential Electric Generation from Solar and Wind Energy in Western Maryland,” Proceedings of IEEE PES General Meeting , Tampa, FL, 2007
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “Wind Farm Noise and Regulations in the Eastern United States,” Presented at the Second International Meeting on Wind Turbine Noise Lyon, France, September 20 – 21 2007
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “Robotics Education for Gifted and Talented High School Students,” Proceedings of DCDIS International Conference, Waterloo University, Guelph, Toronto, ON, CN, July 2005
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “Hands-on Learning in Collaborative Electrical Engineering Program,” Presented at Lilly Conference, Towson University, April 2, 2005 14. Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “Interactive Assessment of Learning Outcomes in Introductory Electrical Engineering Classes,” Proceedings of ASEE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2004
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S., “Environmental Significance of Harvesting Wind Power on the Alleghenies,” Proceedings of IEEE General Meeting, Denver, CO., June 2004
Soysal, O. A., Soysal, H. S. “Meeting Abet-2000 Criteria through Introductory Courses in A Collaborative Electrical Engineering Program,” Proceedings of the 2003 ASEE/WFEO International Colloquium, Nashville, TN, June 2003.
Soysal, O. A. “Project Based Learning of Energy Conversion Principles at Freshman Level,” Submitted to ASEE 2002 Annual Conference, Montreal, Canada, June 2002.
Soysal, O. A. “Collaborative Engineering Education at Frostburg State University,” Submitted to ASEE Zone 1 Meeting, USMA WestPoint, NY, April 2002.
Soysal, O. A. “Freshman Design Experience: Solar Powered Irrigation System for a Remote Farm,” ASEE 2000 Annual Conference, Saint Louis, MO, June 2000.
Soysal, O. A. “Computer Integrated Experimentation in Electrical Engineering Education Over Distance,” ASEE 2000 Annual Conference, Saint Louis, MO, June 2000.
Soysal, O. A. "Analysis of Switching Transients in Arc Furnace Supply System," 57th Electric Furnace Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, November 1999.
Soysal, O. A. "Collaborative Engineering Education at Frostburg State University," Presented at ASEE 1999 Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC, June 20 - 23 1999
Soysal, O. A. "Protection of Arc Furnace Supply Systems from Switching Surges," Proc. of 1999 IEEE PES Winter Meeting, Vol. 2, pp. 1092 - 1095, New York, NY, February 1999.
Soysal, O. A. "Voltage Stresses in a Distribution Transformer Under Non-Ideal Switching Conditions," Proc. of 1999 IEEE PES Winter Meeting, Vol. 2, pp. 1031 - 1035, New York, NY, February 1999.
Soysal, O. A., Sarioglu, M. K., Kaya, A. “Protection of Arc Furnace Transformers From Switching Surges,” Proc. 6th National Conference on Electrical Engineering Vol. 1, pp. 168-171, Turkey, September 1995.
Soysal, O. A., Sarioglu, M. K. “Some Adverse Effects of the Variable Frequency Starting of Gas Turbine Generator-Transformer Systems,” Proc. International Conference on Electrical Machines ICEM’94, Vol.3, pp.304-308, Paris, France, September 1994.
Soysal, O. A., Loglaroglu, D. “Power Flow Control In International Energy Connections,” TOK’94 Turkish Automatic Control Meeting pp. 477-484, Istanbul, Turkey April 1994.
Soysal, O. A. “Improved Representation of Transmission Lines for the Study of Electromagnetic Transients,” MELECON’94 (Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference) Proceedings pp. 956-959, Turkey, April 1994.
Soysal, O. A., Semlyen, A. “On the Adequacy of Modal Approach in Modeling of Three Phase Untransposed Transmission Lines,” Athens Power-Tech Conference Proceedings pp. 33-35, Athens, Greece, September 1993.
Caldecott, R., Kasten, D.G., Liu, Y., Sebo, S. A., Soysal, O. A., Wright, S. E. “Performance Measurements on High Voltage Equipment in the 1 kHz - 1 Mhz Frequency Range,” 5th International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, Braunschweig, Germany, 1987.
Soysal, O. A., Sebo, S. A. “Wide Frequency Range Performance of Electric Machines,” Proc. of the 19th. Annual North American Power Symposium (IEEE cat. No. 87 CH 2501-5) pp. 69-78, Edmonton, Canada, 1987.
Soysal, “Computer Aided Design of Electric Machines,” Computer Aided Design Symposium, pp. 36-40, Izmir, Turkey, 1986.
Soysal, O. A. Sarioglu, M. K. “A Method for Modeling of Power Transformers for the Study of High Speed System Transients,” Proc. of ICEM’86, International Conference on Electric Machines, pp. 29-32, Munich, Germany, 1986.
Soysal, O. A. “Determination of the Surge Voltage Distribution on Transformer Windings by Computer Analysis,” 1st National Electrical Engineering Congress, pp. 666-671, Adana, Turkey, 1985.
Soysal, O. A., Delikkaya, A. “Computer Applications in Transformer Design,” 1st National Electrical Engineering Congress, pp. 662-665, Adana, Turkey, 1985.
Soysal, O. A. Sarioglu, M. K. “A Synthetic Method for Modeling of Transformer Windings in the Study of System Transients”, Proc. of the 17th. Electrical Insulation Conference, pp. 134-138, Boston, USA, 1985.
Soysal, O. A. Sarioglu, M. K., Tokad, Y. “Transient Phenomena on High Power Arc Furnace Transformer Supply Systems," 7th Science Congress, Izmir, Turkey, 1980.
|Top||Frostburg State University||FSU Engineering||Renewable Energy Center|